I’m not a style guru. I buy my make up at the drug store. I still buy jeans at American Eagle. I’m pretty much a regular Betty. But I do genuinely care about how I look when I leave the house. So here are the hacks I’ve discovered during my first year of great motherdom.
- Old Spice Men’s Deodorant is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a shower.
- If you’re not already a mom, you might not be aware that yoga pants are the socially acceptable pajamas to wear in public. So I tell you this; Lululemon leggings give the illusion that you care….as well as the illusion of a cellulite free ass. Splurge on just one pair. You won’t regret it.
- A trucker cap with a fancy name brand on it plus aviator sunglasses hide both dirty hair and tired eyes….simultaneously convincing the world that you’ve got that hipster vibe going on.
- Boyfriend jeans.
- Vionic Midi-Perf sneakers. Literally the most comfortable casual shoe I’ve ever owned. They look adorable with leggings and boyfriend jeans. Buy them here.
- Splurge on one long cashmere cardigan with a hood, and make it your everyday go to “sweatshirt”. It’s near impossible to look like a slob when you wear cashmere….plus anything long hides the butt.
- Neutrogena under eye concealer: It’s a concealer, it’s an spf and it’s a vitamin E treatment. If I wear no other makeup, I at least wear this.
- Balayage: Most mom’s I know don’t have time to get their hair foiled every 6-8 weeks. Balayage looks natural, and won’t look awful when you’ve gone six months since your last hair appointment.
- Shellac pedicures: 2 months, no chipping. You’ll only force yourself to make another appointment because your toenails get too long.
- High rise jeggings: Find a high rise jegging made of a thick stretchy fabric. I’ve literally spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars trying to find a pair from a “grown up” brand. But I keep going back to American Eagle. Their AE Denim X High-Waisted jeans hide all the sins…..and my long cashmere cardigan hides the pocket embroidery that tells the world I’m a 35 year old shopping in a juniors store. You can buy them here.
That’s all I’ve got for now.
Do you have any great hacks? Share them in the comments section!